Test Suite Management (TSM) is an application within Solution Manager (SolMan) which is used for testing the SAP business processes implemented in the SAP Landscape. Testing of SAP Business areas, scenarios, processes, and transactions are supported in TSM. Components of TSM are: Component Based Test Automation; Technical Bills of Material; Test configuration, script, parameters, and data; Test plans. Test plans are built to validate business scenarios and processes. These plans are generated, stored, executed and results reported for later review. Typical usage cases are code modifications and enhancements which must be thoroughly tested before importing into the production environment. Test techniques supported; manual, automated, unit, negative, integration, regression and end-to-end testing will attain a comprehensive satisfactory result for quality controls and change management.
The benefits of Test Management
- Detect problems in source code changes by executing the business transactions requiring the modification
- Design end-to-end testing approaches for business scenarios
- Store testing procedures with the associated test scripts in the business processes repository for reuse
- Gain efficiency through reuse of scripts and testing data in repository
- Reduce testing costs by employing automated testing approaches (regression, Day in the life)
- Utilize multiple executions of test scripts for doing system stress testing
- Management dashboards and reports utilized to show testing results
Our real life experience
We implemented a Test Management solution which allowed our Chemical company client to set up packages for regression testing scripts. These packages get executed for every project transport bundle in quality before the transport bundle is approved in production. End to end packages are utilized by the project teams to spot defects with the controlled set of test repository data.
We implemented Test Suite Management and replaced the HP ALM. SAP ended support for SAP TAO which was required by HP ALM.
We implemented Test Suite Management and linked it with Solution Documentation, IT Service Management and Change Request Management (ChaRM). This tight integration improved User Acceptance Testing results, reduced time required to implement new modifications and enhancements and enhanced visibility within business processes documentation.